Article from the Press-Telegram, Long Beach, CA – November, 21, 1965
Long Beach will extend its official welcome to National Gypsum's new $8 million western headquarters plant on November 22 at a civic luncheon under sponsorship of the Chamber of Commerce.
Highlighting the event will be attendance of the company's board of directors, coming to the city to inspect the new plant at 1850 W. 8th St.
There will be a conducted tour of the plant at 2:30 p.m. hosted by the plant manager M.B. Turner.
Company directors expected to visit Long Beach include: Colon Brown, board chairman and chief executive officer; Fred A. Manski, president; Leonard L. Hank, senior vice president for operations; John W. Brown, senior vice president for sales; Fred A. Wagner, senior vice president for finance; Douglas B. Littlewood, secretary (Melvin H. Baker's son-in-law); and Malcolm A. Schweiker, who heads
the board of American Olean Ceramic Tile Co., Inc.
National Gypsum's Long Beach facility, now entering production, has been acclaimed by company spokesmen as the most modern of its 73 gypsum and subsidiary facilities. The local layout occupies a 23-acre site fronting on Channel 2, Port of Long Beach.
Producing gypsum board, lath, plaster, joint compound and related products, the plant is using gypsum ore mined and shipped by water from Baja, California.
The ore is moved by conveyor from ships to a huge aluminum-skinned storage dome capable of holding 73,000 tons. From there, it goes into the manufacturing processes.
The wallboard production building is more than 800 feet long and warehouse total more than 85,000 square feet.
Also at the Long Beach site is National's headquarters office building for its West Coast Division.