Family Connection
Leaders
Operations
Personal Stories
Sales & Marketing
 
 

William A. North

William A. North joined the company as assistant secretary in 1941 and eventually became secretary. During the Korean Conflict, he successfully ran the Wahoo Ordinance Plant. In 1955, he became vice president of Acquisitions. Three years later, he put National Gypsum in the tile business, acquiring American Encaustic Tile, Olean Tile, and Murray Tile. In 1959, he engineered the acquisition of the largest cement operation in North American – Huron Cement. In 1960, he became president of American Olean.

North's first act as chairman was to move the National Gypsum headquarters to Dallas, TX.

He retired on October 31, 1977. Robert Scifres was elected chairman.



 

February 1976 –
Chairman & CEO